Pine-Straw supply in SE Michigan?

All housing questions, suggestions . . .

Pine-Straw supply in SE Michigan?

Postby Silvia & Dirk » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:16 am

Has anybody bought larger amounts of pine straw in SE-Michigan?

I'd like to buy 3-4 cubic yards for landscaping purposes (instead of mulch). I like the looks and hope the Martins like it too!

Silvia & Dirk
Silvia & Dirk

Postby Louis King//CUL Lou » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:46 am

Sylvia and Dirk. Wow. I'm not sure where a person would go about finding any for sale. You might try the Nurseries around your area. Other than that, you might look for some White Pines, and then ask the owner if you could have some. One thing I might add. Pine Needles are one thing that are put around Blue Berry bushes, to make the soil More Acidy. (Hmm, is that a word??) Anyway, it'll supposedly lower the PH of your soil, so that Blue Berries, Rhododendrums, and Azaleas, and other plants that like Acid soil will grow better. Good Luck in your quest. CUL Lou
Louis King//CUL Lou

Postby Fred Kaluza » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:17 pm

Dirk, I simply looked around for some decorative landscaping and found numerous businesses adorned with the right trees in my local area. Just stopping on the sidewalk and grabbing a few handfulls is not a big deal. You may even find someone in your neighborhood. JUst carry a plastic bag as though you were walking a dog, (do you have a dog)? It's a good way to strike up a conversation with a neighbor and you might just get them to put up a Martin house too! Oops! Just read the qty you're looking for. My wife says it's available from area landscape shops and it's not too pricey.
Fred Kaluza

Postby Russ Emmons » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:42 pm

Not exactly sure what "pine straw" is but familiar with "mulchy" products of various types. Again you might try TSC in New Haven or "Family Farm & Home" in Richmond. Also Ray Wiegands Nurserys, several locations around Mt. Clemens, New Haven area!

Russ Emmons, Casco Twp. St. Clair county
Russ Emmons

Postby Louis King//CUL Lou » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:14 am

Russ. Some folks use the term Pine Straw, others use Pine Needles. Seems to be one and the same. CUL Lou
Louis King//CUL Lou

Postby Fred Kaluza » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:57 am

A Michigan company no less!

http://www.thepinestrawstore.com/?gclid ... IwodlxNx_g

Seems they offer needles from 3 different types of pines.
Fred Kaluza

Postby Louis King//CUL Lou » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:53 pm

Fred. Clicking on your url, takes me to a site from Augusta Ga. Also, seems it's all one type (species) of tree, just different lengths. CUL Lou
Louis King//CUL Lou

Postby Fred Kaluza » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:41 pm

Very strange Lou. When I searche dGoogle for "Pine Straw". it came up with a header that mentioned "Michigan Company". The link however does go to another place. Very strange indeed.
Fred Kaluza

Postby marhope2007 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:11 pm

Try here- supposedly they ship to all 50 states, though I am not familiar with the company.

http://www.thepinestrawstore.com/?gclid ... Igod7QeXVw

Marianne
marhope2007

Postby Louis King//CUL Lou » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:27 am

Marianne. That seems to be the same company. CUL Lou
Louis King//CUL Lou

Next

Return to Housing